Friday, October 12, 2007

Gore's Nobel Prize: Another Bible Belt Baptist (from the Washington Post On Faith)

Robert Parham makes a case for the moral values of Al Gore.

He notes the role Scripture has played in shaping their moral vision and values.

In a June 2006 interview before the Nashville premier of the documentary “An Inconvenient Truth,” Gore told me that his Christian faith shaped his moral convictions about the environment.

"I was taught in Sunday school about the purpose of life," he said. "I didn't ever get a single lesson about the purpose of life at Harvard University or prep school I went to. But I learned about the purpose of life in Sunday school. And I was taught that the purpose of life is to glorify God.

"How can you glorify God while heaping contempt and destruction on God's creation? The answer is that you cannot, you cannot.

"If you believe in the teaching 'Whatever you do to the least of these you do unto me,' the least of these include those who are powerless to defend themselves against harmful actions at our hands motivated by careless greed," he said.

No comments:

Podcast Conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education

 Just thrilled that our podcast conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education are available here: https://podcast...