Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer Reading

Ah, the pleasures of summer reading...at present I am reading these novels: Gervase Phinn, Head Over Heels in the Dales (third volume in a series) suggested by my mother in light of my interest in teaching; Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith (which author, btw, my mother heartily dislikes as she finds it unrealistic on the basis of her experience in Kenya); and Pat Barker, Double Vision: A Novel. I'm locating Tana French's Faithful Place through interlibrary loan.

For more serious reading, I'm reading a book on Galatians (see previous post) and Henry Plummer on the various uses of light in Shaker Architecture. Just reading the chapter headings is an education: Simplicity--Pristine Light; Order--Focused Light; Luminosity--Inner Light; Equality--Shared Light; Time--Cyclic Light. I've never thought of light in this way. The book's illustrations are illuminating.

On Friday I'm going to a booksigning of The Hidden Children of France edited by Danielle Bailly, translated by Betty Becker-Theye and just out From SUNY Press.

Is there anything more wonderful than a good book?

1 comment:

Jane R said...

No, there isn't. Even in the midst of working on my big theological tome I have done some reading for pleasure, mysteries mostly (this and that author --Sarah Paretsky, Robert Parker, Peter Tremayne, Victoria Thompson, and my first Alexander McCall Smith --yes, it took me this long to get to him-- so I was interested to read your comment), and some theology that isn't in the Tome -- new U.S. Latin@ works by Orlando Espín and by Carmen Nanko-Fernández. Oh, and Rosemary Radford Ruether's new book about her son's schizophrenia --written with him and in consultation with her whole family-- _Many Forms of Madness_.

Also a gorgeous, gorgeous fat book I haven't finished yet and I should have read ages ago (it came out about 8 yrs ago), Paul Elie's _The Life You Save May Be Your Own: An American Pilgrimage_: marvelous biographical-literary-spiritual book about Flannery O'Connor, Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, and Walker Percy.

And here I thought I hadn't been reading for fun. I did pack quite a few books in, many of them, mostly the mysteries, in the two or three weeks after school ended. I was just starved for fiction.

On my bedstand waiting to be read: Abraham Joshua Heschel's _Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity_, edited by his daughter Susannah Heschel. Also still need to finish _Istanbul_ by Orhan Pamuk; I think because I began it during the academic year I can't bring myself to pick it up. I've also been keeping Neruda's Selected Poems around (the bilingual edition) and when I am not keeling over tired, I read a poem before going to sleep. It chases away the nightmares.

Loved reading about your readings!

Podcast Conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education

 Just thrilled that our podcast conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education are available here: https://podcast...