Thursday, May 18, 2006

Scarlet Tanager in Central Park

Today's early birdwalk included sighting of a scarlet tanager (picture courtesy of Wild Bird Gallery) distinguished not only by its color but also location at the very top of a tall tree. Shortly afterward a red tailed hawk flew overhead which explains the tanager's hasty departure. Our group saw warblers including a Cape May warbler, Magnolia, Black and White, Yellow rumped, Chestnut sided warblers and also an American Redstart. Our guide saw an Indigo Bunting along with several warblers but I confess I did not. Sigh.

Some consensus exists among bird watchers that numbers are generally down this year, alas.

1 comment:

Rev Dr Mom said...

Oh, the scarlet tanager is beautiful! I'd love to see an indicgo bunting, too.

I saw a rufous sided towhee the other day, and I have (at least)two orioles in my yard now. They like the oranges and grape jelly I've been leaving them. Now if I could get the squirrels to stop stealing the oranges...

Podcast Conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education

 Just thrilled that our podcast conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education are available here: https://podcast...