Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Being Gay in Ghana, Kenya, and ?Cameroon

The BBC has a report on gay and lesbian Ghanains. It follows a story about a gay Kenyan who is also a Christian. As a student, he finds it easier to be gay in the UK:-

I really hate the way people run to the Bible just to justify their biases and fears. If they knew more about Christianity they would accept homosexuals or anyone else for who they are.

Personally, I wouldn't condone gay marriages because of my beliefs, but I must confess there are times when I really would like to be in a long-term relationship.

He says there are all sorts of gay Africans. He speaks of learning to accept himself:

The same goes for African leaders that believe homosexuality is unAfrican. They are like ostriches sticking their head down in the sand and oblivious to the world around them.

After the outing campaign in Cameroon, I thought there was no way I would see acceptance of homosexuality in Africa in my lifetime.

But I am hopeful: when you look at how things have changed in Africa in the last 50 years, it will happen - it'll just take a long time.

Perhaps these laws banning homosexuality are a government's form of accepting it, but accepting it in the wrong way.

He refers to a story from the beginning of March about a newspaper editor in Cameroon who was sentenced to four months in jail for defaming a minister by claiming he was gay.

1 comment:

Andre2U said...

Hi, in relation to this issue please also consult the new wiki www.gayghana.org

Podcast Conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education

 Just thrilled that our podcast conversations with contributors to Borderlands of Theological Education are available here: https://podcast...