Care to test your knowledge? (Courtesy of Stephen Prothero's book Religious Literacy)
1 Name the four gospels. List as many as you can.
2 Name a sacred text of Hinduism.
3. What is the name of the holy book in Islam?
4. Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born?
5. U.S. President George W. Bush spoke in his first inaugural address of the Jericho Road. What Bible story was he invoking?
6. What are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Old Testament?
7. What is the Golden Rule?
8. "God helps those who help themselves." Is this in the Bible? If so, where?
9. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God" Does this appear in the Bible? If so, where?
10. Name the Ten Commandments. List as many as you can.
11. Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.
12. What are the seven sacraments of Catholicism? Name as many as you can.
13. The U.S. First Amendment says two things about religion, each in its own "clause." What are the two religion clauses of the First Amendment?
14. What is Ramadan? In what religion is it celebrated?
15. Match the Bible characters with the stories in which they appear. Hint: some characters may be in more than one story or vice versa:
i. Adam and Eve
b. Binding of Isaac
c. Olive Branch
d. Garden of Eden
e. Parting of the Red Sea
f. Road to Damascus
g. Garden of Gethsemane
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Jessica Weisberg Elisabeth Kübler-Ross later applied the same five stages she identified in the process of dying—denial, anger, bargaini...
David Bentley Hart's new translation of the New Testament is a breath of fresh air: responsible, creative, and inspiring. Yale Unive...
On our recent visit to Istanbul, we were told we must not miss a visit to the Pera Museum in Beyoglu where "The Tortoise Trainer"...